This is one of Cheryl's many "rants." This one is about the radical religious right. It is an equal-opportunity rant, complaining about a wide variety of religions. You can watch a live clip of Your God on YouTube. Or you can listen to an early version of the song here.
We all have people who try to tell us what to do (you should lose weight, stop smoking, exercise more, etc.) But there is a difference between people who express their beliefs and those that try to enforce their own standards on everyone else.
Cheryl was concerned about my reaction to this song. She sent me e-mail a few days before she had a gig at Appel Farms, which is in the Philadelphia area near where I live. Cheryl knows that I am a devout Mormon, and she said there was a line in this song about the Mormons, but not my kind. It was about the polygamous groups in the Utah area (think Elizabeth Smart.) Since the Mormon Church outlawed polygamy quite a while ago, those groups are not associated with the church in any way. Calling them Mormon is like calling Protestants Catholics, or Catholics Jews. They come from the same background, but have since split off into their own group.
Interestingly, Cheryl's original version had a line about the "loser God the Eagles had" (in reference to the Philadelphia Eagles losing the Super Bowl.) Andy Reid, the head coach of the Eagles is also a Mormon, so she really had two lines about Mormons in the song. Cheryl updates the lyrics after each Superbowl.
- Your God
- Words And Music By
- Cheryl Wheeler
- Is your God the same God who's working with the Pope?
- Is it the same God suspicious of Tinky Winky?
- Is it the God corralling virgins into herds of 72,
- deciding where to send them when the glorious martyrs are through?
- Is your God the same God who's burning the science books
- and trampling lives to hoist the right to life signs?
- Or is he running the breeding program from the Temple by the lake
- till one big in-bred family will be an entire state?
- Are they his priests who can't keep from buggering little boys?
- Is it your cash retaining their attorneys?
- I guess he had to overlook the nastiness with the tykes,
- to keep the grace of marriage from the clutches of fags and dykes.
- Is your God the same God who won the Superbowl?
- I hope it's not that loser God the Eagles had.
- Or is your's the God decreeing all the women wear a sack,
- and presiding over stonings and beheadings in Iraq?
- Is your God commanding you
- to tell everybody what to do,
- to kill your brain and praise his name
- and bury the bastard who's not the same,
- and spew your heinous and hateful shit
- like something holy was driving it
- to take over all the earth and skies above?
- Oh mercy, whatever happened to the GOD of love?
- (P) April 26, 2005
- Penrod And Higgins Music / Amachrist Music
- ACF Music Group
- International Copyright Reserved
No song clips available
The song Your God doesn't appear on any recordings