This is a song that was inspired by something that happened when she was writing another song.
Cheryl believes that her main purpose in life is to write songs. She really loves song writing, but it isn't something she can force. She usually has to have something spark the creative process.
Cheryl was sitting on her couch writing a song ( This is Me) when she looked outside and thought "I should be outside riding my bike"! Then she realized what she had just said, and realized that no matter what she was doing, she would almost certainly think that she should be doing something else. She told her friend, Cathleen, that she felt like writing a song about how she always feels guilty. Cathleen replied "You mean because you are so unworthy". This song is the result.
This song has a lot of words, and many of the lines go very quickly, which means this is a tough song to sing. In fact, the end of the song turns into "blah blah blah". Cheryl once told me that if she ever messes up the lyrics, she can always remember the ending.
- Words and Lyrics by:
- Cheryl Wheeler
- I'm unworthy, and no matter what I'm doing,
- I should certainly be doing something else.
- And it's selfish to be thinking I'm unworthy,
- all this me, me, me, me, self, self, self, self, self.
- If I'm talking on the phone I should be working on the lawn
- which looks disgraceful from the things I haven't done.
- If I'm working on the lawn I should be concentrating on
- those magazines inside, since I have not read one.
- I should learn how to meditate and sew and bake
- and dance and paint and sail and make gazpacho.
- I should turn my attention to repairing
- all those forty year old socks there in that bureau.
- I should let someone teach me to run Windows,
- and learn French that I can read and write and speak.
- I should get life in prison for how I treated my parents
- from third grade until last week.
- I should spend more time playing with my dog
- and much less money on this needless junk I buy.
- I should send correspondence back to everyone
- who's written, phoned or faxed since junior high.
- I should sit with a therapist until I understand
- the way I felt back in my mom.
- I should quit smoking, drinking, eating, thinking
- sleeping, watching TV, writing stupid songs.
- I should be less impatient when the line just takes forever
- 'cause the two cashiers are talking.
- I should see what it's like to get up really early rain or shine
- and spend three hours walking.
- I should know CPR and deep massage and Braille
- and sign language and how to change my oil.
- I should go where the situation's desperate
- and build and paint and trudge and tote and toil.
- I should chant in impossible positions
- till my legs appear to not have any bones.
- I should rant at the cops and politicians
- and the corporations-in indignant tones.
- I should save lots of money to leave Audubon,
- plus all the rocks and animals and plants.
- I should brave possibilities for plotting plums of problems
- prob'ly blossomed, plausibly from
- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah I'm unworthy.
- (P) May 27, 2003
- Penrod And Higgins Music / Amachrist Music
- ACF Music Group
- International Copyright Reserved
No song clips available
The song Unworthy appears on the following album:
- Sylvia Hotel
- by Wheeler, Cheryl