This song really touched me the first time I heard it. I hadn't heard Cheryl do this song live, so the recording on Mrs. Pinocci's Guitar was the first time I heard the song. Normally, I hear a song live first and then finally hear the recorded version when the next album comes out. Interestingly, the same album has another song, The Storm which also falls into this category.
It is hauntingly beautiful, with lyrics and images full of pathos. The harmony with Jonathan Edwards is fantastic. This is the first song of Cheryl's that I heard and wondered how she could do it live. (She does it quite well, BTW) Usually it is the other way around. You can find a clip of School Girls on YouTube.
Have you ever complained that youth is wasted on the young? This song talks about how the young waste their time chasing after the wrong kind of love. The song ends with:
Here's to the school girls lost in time
And the boys running wild to see what they can find
Trading love of the long and lasting kind
For a bottle of a stronger brew
Surprisingly, this is a very old song of Cheryl's (as is The Storm.) She hadn't performed it live for a number of years before it was recorded. I guess there is always hope for some of those gems that Cheryl hasn't recorded yet.
- School Girls
- Words And Music By
- Cheryl Wheeler
- Easy to find and hard to hold
- Love is like summer green, waiting to grow old
- And it is not like the stories school girls told
- It is quiet as a winter dawn
- Maybe I've never loved at all
- Maybe passions arise, and leave me where I fall
- Till I hear some familiar memory call
- And I know that love has changed or gone
- Who knows the nature, and who holds the key?
- As emotions unwind, is it heart, is it mind?
- I'll never know if it's love or it's me
- On and off like the wind, strong and fading again
- And all around me I can see
- Those who ran from the night for warmth and company
- Until they woke to the strangers they could be
- And the passion they no longer knew
- Here's to the school girls lost in time
- And the boys running wild to see what they can find
- Trading love of the long and lasting kind
- For a bottle of a stronger brew
- (P) May 27, 2003
- Penrod And Higgins Music / Amachrist Music
- ACF Music Group
- International Copyright Reserved
No song clips available
The song School Girls appears on the following album:
- Mrs. Pinocci's Guitar
- by Wheeler, Cheryl