With all the travel that Cheryl does, it is natural that she should write a number of songs about it. You would think, however, that eventually she would run out of new things to say, but that hasn't happened yet. This song, like Piper, is also about the song itself. Here is a clip of Cheryl performing Lovely Ride on YouTube.
She quotes "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost, one of my favorite poems, and known to most school kids in the US. She modifies the line slightly, which is explained in a note she added at the end of the lyrics.
- Lovely Ride
- Words And Music By
- Cheryl Wheeler
- All night long,
- pretty little song keeps rollin'
- through my head
- I can't read,
- I can't sleep, just goin
- through this tune instead
- I think about the way you make me feel so good
- Don't know if I told you
- but I know I should
- Wagging tail, winding trail
- "Leaves no step has trodden black" *
- Evening light, winter white
- Cardinals shine in the pine out back
- Now inside this moment it occurs to me
- Everything is just as it's supposed to be
- When the cold snow blows
- Or the hot sun shows no mercy
- Count me in
- Steeper climbs, harder times
- are mostly
- Just now and then
- Raise your glass to the side by side
- I must say it's a lovely ride
- * the quoted line is from Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken"
- In the poem, it's HAD trodden, but the point is to evoke the sense of - how my choices led me here - as well as the solitary nature of our woods walk.
- (P) March 14, 2010
- Penrod And Higgins Music / ACF Music Group
No song clips available
The song Lovely Ride doesn't appear on any recordings