This is another song that appears on the compilation album. No Previous Record. This version was taken from one of the WRIU tapes that Cheryl had.
I love this song. It is one of those songs that describes a group of people that you wish you knew. I am always amazed at how Cheryl can meet ordinary people that most of us would not even notice, and create a great song about them.
According to Shelly Brisbin, "Cornell's" is about the proprietor of a coffee bar that's located within a Cornell's pharmacy in Providence. Cheryl said the clientele was mostly older Portuguese folks, and that she used to stop in regularly for coffee when she lived in the area.
- Words And Music By
- Cheryl Wheeler
- She speaks English and Portuguese
- Sells out chances to the lotteries
- Waits on customers and shoots the breeze
- With the men at the coffee bar
- She knows who her good friends are
- Keeps a smile for she's out to please
- Keeps her dresses below her knees
- Runs the best of the pharmacies
- Here on the east side of town
- Bringin' those customers 'round
- Plump old women in thrift store clothes
- Talk grand children and TV shows
- In comes young girl with powdered nose
- And leaves baby daughter or son
- The ladies all cuddle each one
- Wives to the left side, men to the right
- "Four large coffees, no sugar, one light
- Rose we missed you at cards last night"
- And she gives 'em a smile or two
- Rose and her Dial-a-Brew
- (P) May 27, 2003
- Penrod And Higgins Music / Amachrist Music
- ACF Music Group
- International Copyright Reserved
No song clips available
The song Cornell's appears on the following album:
- No Previous Record
- by Wheeler, Cheryl