Beyond the Lights
I have only recently gotten a recording of this song, so I haven't listened to it that much yet. From what I have heard, it seems to be that the song is about someone who has committed suicide.
This song was part of a small promotional cassette that North Star made entitled Live and Otherwise. Later, amazon.com wanted Cheryl to make a "download only" song available, and Cheryl revisited the song. Normally, once Cheryl writes a song, she doesn't modify it later, but for this recording, she added a bridge before the last verse. The lyrics below include the new segment which starts with "And in my sleep you are crying still"
- Beyond the Lights
- Words And Music By:
- Cheryl Wheeler
- Thought you'd bide your time and play your part
- but you were wrong dear.
- Somewhere down the line your lonely heart
- could not belong here.
- And in some frame of reason, beyond our vision,
- Your love lagged behind and fell apart
- Without a soul to hear
- On a night like this the stars don't shine
- and there's no moonlight.
- We're like you I guess, we bide our time,
- try to play our parts right,
- and wonder where you gathered your angry sorrow.
- Through the rolling mist the scenes unwind.
- They seem so clear tonight.
- And in my sleep you are crying still
- the way you touch your brow, hang your head.
- I never knew and I never will
- the voices haunting you, a thing that I could do.
- Were they in your stars
- those lonely nights, tormented hours?
- Something snapped your spars
- and slacked your lines and took your powers
- Did no one see you sinking till you'd gone under?
- While you slipped so far beyond the lights,
- were we just watching ours?
- (P) February 16, 1999
- Penrod And Higgins Music / Amachrist Music
- ACF Music Group
- International Copyright Reserved
No song clips available